Tuesday, 30 September 2014

CD32 160 Game Compilation


By too many developers to list!
Uses: CD32 Compilation Toolkit by Lennon Lives, WHDLoad by Wepl, JST by JF Fabre, Slaves and cracks by many, many authors
Cover: Steve
ISO Master: Earok

Our biggest CD32 project ever! Including!
  • A few of the blockbusters by Delphine, Psynosis, Team 17, Cinemaware, LucasArts and others.
  • A wide range of genres - point and click adventure, platformer, racing, first person shooter, sports, fighting - something for everyone.
  • Games spanning almost the entire life span of the 68k Amiga, including some of the recent demoscene games and unofficial Atari ST ports.
  • A few highly eclectic selections, like ultra-violent Polish beat-em-ups, the "Resident Evil" demo and even FMV games.
I was inspired by the massive collections that Gary made back in the day, but I had some frustrations with those - mainly that some of the games didn't work for me, and others weren't playable without a keyboard and mouse. With this collection I focused on games that:
  1. Would work in a stock CD32
  2. Didn't require a mouse or keyboard to play the basic game
  3. Where possible, were enhanced in some way to take advantage of the CD32 pad (using the latest and greatest WHDLoad slaves etc)
  4. With certain exceptions, didn't have an official release on the CD32
I haven't been able to test absolutely every game on a real CD32, but it comes with my personal guarantee -

If I've included a game that doesn't work on a real CD32, and you report the issue to me first, I promise to either fix it, or replace it with a game of your choice (so long as your choice is appropriate for the collection).

There is some overlap between this and some of the smaller release we've done, however this doesn't have any of the bonus content the standalone releases do - control screens, selection screens, CDXL intros, soundtracks, 3rd party content and the like. In general, if there's a game you really like on this collection but we've done a standalone release, we recommend getting the standalone release.

UPDATE Posted another version which should fix a few issues. Also, if you hold down "Pause" while booting it'll disable pictures in the menu, which should make it a bit snappier.

Forgot to mention last time - these games can be "quickbooted" by holding down the appropriate button while the CD loads:

RED - Tiny Troops
BLUE - Worms Director's Cut
GREEN - Xtreme Racing
UP - Resident Evil Demo
LEFT - Wolfenstein 3D Shareware
FORWARD - Virtual Karting 2
REVERSE - Shadow of the Beast 3

Download (verified virus clean, 21st May 2015)



So this brings us to the end of our utterly insane project to release one unofficial port a day for the entire month. It's been a hell of a ride, and I was blown away by the fantastic support shown by the Amiga community. I'd like to especially thank Neil, Ali and the IndieRetroNews guys for covering the project so extensively, Gaz for making A4 sized templates of the covers, all of the slave/patch/crack authors that made many of these conversions possible and all the EAB users and posters here who contributed support, testing or suggestions.

And of course, I'd like to make a shout out to my collaborator Steve. The original suggestion to work on these conversions was his, and the new covers and screens he spent massive hours making is what made the project stand out.

What next? Well, this isn't quite the end. Although we're certainly not going to continue at this pace, we're still planing to release a few more between now and Christmas, and also there were some great conversions done by other people that we're going to launch through the blog. Maybe there's also a possibility of a few "officially authorised" releases, we'll see.

But as for me and Steve, we really need a break. Seriously. So no more daily releases.



Nope.



No more.



...



Did somebody say encore? Well... ;)

35 comments:

  1. Cheers, I appreciate it :) don't leave the blog just yet, in the next couple of days we're going to be releasing one of the games you asked for ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erik what is the best way to contact you directly/privately?

      Delete
  2. Many thanks for your excellent job!!..I'll be keeping my eye on it!!
    Cheers
    Max

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say thanks for a month's worth of awesome releases, I haven't thanked you for every one but wanted to say a BIG thanks on the last one for all of them. Your efforts are greatly appreciated by all us Amiga/CD32 nerds!

    ReplyDelete



  4. To me it does not work on real Amiga CD32 . Help me! At what speed should be burned ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. try at 1x speed as Amiga cd32 drive is intended to run at 1x and not more....
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did, but imgburn automatically increases the writing speed to 8x ... help ...: '((((

    ReplyDelete
  7. that sounds weird...anyway try to search through the settings and set the right speed or change burner...surf the web to find one which matches your request...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is, modern drives only burn 10/18/24x. You can set 1x in imgburn, but there will be an error and a autom. set to 10x. With this speed, my CD32 will not read the compilation :-( Anyone has tested this on a real CD32 burned with his own hardware ? Maybe you could burn the compilation for me and I will pay the CD-R and shipping costs....please ?! ;-(

      Delete
    2. I have ripped the compilation to disc, and it works fine (Except the Resident Evil demo and Worms games don't boot even when you hold the appropriate buttons, it returns you to the main menu). A deal could be arranged there. Oddly enough I'm using ImgBurn through a Blu-Ray recordable drive! Perhaps BD drives are slower and therefore more compatible?

      Delete

  8. I use verbatim cd and I tried to burn with readers liteon, samsung and asus . 4 cd thrown. And you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I normally use img burn 2.5.8 and I have never ecountered any problem...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks all.

    @Giuseppe have you had any issues with any of the other games?

    What sort of verbatim cds are you using? I think I might have had problems with lightscribe discs or something similar in the past.


    There's more stuff in the startup-sequence then there needs to be, and that might be causing some issues. I'll do a tidied up version in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just FYI, I've uploaded a new test version, this hopefully should be more reliable.

    https://mega.co.nz/#!NJI3ELzK!1VszGExJ08KohIDGbwmr9QliAjbwJOSq44k883ioBOk

    ReplyDelete
  12. The new version is great!!! Thank you very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheers, glad it works for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also gave Indy Fate of Atlantis a go, and unless it's just a me, the mouse cursor actually clicks lower than its position, a problem which I also have trying to play it with WHDload on almost all my machines.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent collection of games, I just tried Gloom (and all the weird and wonderful versions) and was wondering whether you used the Akiko C2P routine?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Twig, sorry I'm not sure what the issue with Fate of Atlantis is. Pretty sure I'm not using WHDLoad for that so presumably it's an issue with the original game?

    Yep, we're using the Akiko routine for the games using the "Gloom Deluxe" engine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reply! Again, excellent work with Gloom, really enjoying it. Not sure about this Indy Fate lark, I don't know whether anyone else has been able to reproduce this issue?

      Delete
    2. This thread suggests that switching from PAL to NTSC fixes the issue - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=75727 either way, I'm not quite alone in having this problem!

      Delete
  17. Great Job!
    I'll give it a try today later on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good day, thank you for your great work. If i may, i would like to leave some suggestion to add to this or other compilations. North and South (needs keyboard to change the army in battles), Adventures of Robin Hood (by Millenium, needs codes in the beginning), Pinball Dreams (needs the Slam Tilt treatment), Wasted Dreams (probably impossible...), and i may have missed something, but when i enter a sub menu i cannot get back to the starting menu of the compilation. Any way, you did an excelent job and i am truly grateful for it. Always believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the slow response!

      North and South: Requires Kickstarts, which I can't distribute, otherwise would be an excellent addition as the WHDLoad slave doesn't require keyboard

      Adventures of Robin Hood: Noted to investigate for a future update

      Pinball Dreams: I think this requires keyboard, I'll need to investigate

      Wasted Dreams: Yep, impossible ;)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  19. When i enter a sub menu i cannot get back to the starting menu of the compilation. Is there a way to come back?
    You can not just add a row that open the first menu (like the rows of the first menu open sub menus)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid that would be tricky to do since I've lost the source for the system I used to generate the multi layer structure, I might just ditch the multi level menu system for a future update anyway (since you can quickly scroll up and down using the Forward/Reverse keys anyway)

      Delete
  20. Hi

    Is there a version where the return menu is disabled? My 6 year old son, sometimes catches/touches the third button on the Saga joy-pad, and this cancels the game, and returns to the menu :o( It's kinda frustrating, for my young lad, when this happen :o(

    Do you have a version just with a soft-reboot menu only?

    Anyway brilliant work :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've just made it and added it to the post for you ;) (look for 'kiosk mode')

      Delete
  21. You're star :o) Thank you.

    I actually went and bought a CD32, (got it re-capped also) after reading about your project on EAB, I just knew it would be prefect for my young lad (he's ok with disks, but still to young, for understanding AmigaOS and WHDload).

    Thank you for all your hard work, and for giving the CD32 a new lease of life :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, I appreciate it :) I love to hear about people buying CD32s because of this little project

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thx a lot for compil !! xD

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know this compilation was made for the real CD32, not an emulator, but maybe someone has a solution nevertheless, so.. I try to get Monkey Island 2 working on the latest version of WinUAE (3.x) but with no luck. It starts to load then stops with a black screen. I tried countless combinations of options to no avail. Any clues?

    ReplyDelete